Church of the Evangel added to the National Register of Historic Places

The Church of the Evangel has been added to the National Register of Historic Places.  The New York State Office of Parks and Recreation and Historic Preservation has announced the listing of The Church of the Evangel, located at the corner of Bedford Ave. and Hawthorne St.,  on the National Register of Historic Places.

PLG-Church-of-the-EvangelBuilt in 1916, an example of Late Gothic Revival architecture, the church embodies many characteristics that are typical of a medieval parish church in England. The building since the very beginning served as a community center for the neighborhood with an emphasis on youth programs. It served as the clubhouse for the largest Boy Scout troop in the country at the time and for the largest Girl Scout troop in the state.

The window over the doors was donated in 1927 by Emma Cromwell in memory of her brother, Joseph Milton Cromwell.  The window is made of Tiffany glass from the Tiffany Studios of New York City.

Credit goes to the Rev. Lisa Robinson and her congregation for their careful maintenance of this important Prospect Lefferts Gardens neighborhood asset.  There will be a ceremony at the chuch on Saturday, June 5th.   Our thanks to the Hawthorne Street Blog for bringing this to our attention.

0 Responses to “Church of the Evangel added to the National Register of Historic Places”


Comments are currently closed.

© 2010-2013 Lefferts Manor Association All Rights Reserved