Lefferts Manor’s own Manor Arts was founded by the artist and art educator Nurit Newman in 2009. There have been 8 sessions so far, and the 9th begins on April 30th. A few openings are still available—see below.
In an interview, Ms. Newman said, “We specialize in teaching kids (of any age) how to think like artists. This spring we’ll be adding on a mommy and me class for toddlers and a one day parent/child arts workshop for 5th and 6th graders and their folks that is designed to provide an opportunity for parents to make art with their kids.
“Many of my students repeat classes each session, and I’ve had the great joy of watching some of them grow from toddlers to 6 year olds and pre-teens to teenagers.
“I’m also very proud of the great successes we’ve had helping kids put together their portfolios and preparing them for their interviews at specialized art high schools such as La Guardia, Murrow and Art and Design.
“At the risk of sounding corny my students really have been an inspiration for me. Their questions, frustrations and breakthroughs with realizing their ideas have played a great role in my own art work.”
A few openings are still available for the Spring session.
- ART MAKING 1 4-6 year olds Saturday @ 10AM
- ART MAKING 2 9-11 year oldsSunday @ 11AM
- COMIC BOOK ARTS (6.5-9 year olds)Thursday @ 4:30
- COMIC BOOK ARTS (8-11 year olds)Saturday @ 11:30AM
- STOP MOTION ANIMATION (FULL)
- 3D-EXPLORATION 1 (6-8 year olds)Sunday @ 11:30
- 3D-EXPLORATION 2 (8-11 year olds)Tuesday @ 4:30
- JEWELRY METAL SMITHING (9-11 year olds)Wednesday @ 4:30